When facing a severe criminal charge like a DUI, you want the best DUI lawyer Montgomery County has available, one who can understand the complex nuances of each case, someone who will fight for you with tenacity and look upon you with compassion. How do you find a Montgomery County attorney who consistently serves your community in such a manner? You would be wise to find a Montgomery County DUI attorney with a high success rate and excellent credentials. The following guidelines should help you make just such a find.
- Gather recommendations. DUI and drunk driving arrests are sadly, all too common in the state of Maryland, so it is very possible you know someone who has been through this him/herself or knows someone who has. Personal recommendations are a great way to start when seeking legal representation of any kind. You may also look to the Internet, where there are many local, state and nationwide directories that can link you to legal professionals in your field and show you their credentials. Your state Bar Association is an excellent place to start. Be mindful that different directories have different criteria for their listings: some list any licensed attorney in the area, some list only the most successful, and some list those who pay. Once you have a list of potential lawyers, again, review their credentials, reviews and success rates thoroughly.
- Arrange a consultation. As you narrow your list, arrange for phone or in person consultations with possible Montgomery County DUI attorneys. Some will offer free initial consultations while others may cost. Once you meet with your potential attorney, discuss legal fees and payment plan options. When facing the stress of DUI or DWI charges, you do not wish to be saddled with financial burdens as well. Our Montgomery County DUI attorneys will help you obtain quality legal assistance you can afford.
- During your consultation, of course, you would be wise to discuss more than cost. The following questions are also helpful in choosing a DUI attorney:
- Have you handled cases similar to mine?
- Will you work with me directly or will another legal professional handle my case? (Note attorneys often work in teams).
- What is your philosophy? Do you prefer a more “hands on” approach or see yourself as more of a guide through proceedings?
- Lastly, ask yourself what your goals are. Would you prefer to fight all charges until your name is cleared, or take a lesser punishment or negotiate a deal? The DUI lawyers Montgomery County drivers prefer can help you answer these difficult questions and many more.
As experienced DUI defense attorneys in Montgomery County, we are here to help you understand all of your legal options. While we do believe that, with our years of experience, we are the best qualified to handle your case, we understand the importance of finding the right fit for you. We hope that with these guidelines you can find an attorney who can readily and actively assist you in defending yourself and obtaining the best possible outcome for your future.